Saturday, July 11, 2015

Lime green with tassels- setting the stage and creating dreams

Day 2 July 11th
Today was supposed to be our first day of caring for all horses but several were taken out for horse shows and parades. Even with some missing though it took us 2 and a half hours to finish.
    I forgot my pocket knife  so we had to try and cut the ropes on the hay with my car keys which took quite a while. I coughed and sneezed my way through several stalls.
   We met some people today as they came and got their horses. A teenage girl talked with eva today as she put her horse back in the stall after washing his muddy legs. She told eva she was 10 when she started working here just like eva was. She left saying shed be back to get her horse for the parade.
      Certain buckets of water looked disgusting so I emptied them before I filled them. I dumped one the wrong way and got covered in disgusting green straw water. I almost threw up maybe 5 times. 2 minutes after filling those horses water they were filled with straw again. I watched these silly horses dipping their hay before they ate!
     The black and white horse that was down last week seems to be doing better. The owner told me they never did figure out what was wrong with her but we are now feeding her low calorie grass. Which I forgot and my daughter had to remind me on my second shovel of hay. We emptied it and refilled it with the right stuff.
      The very last horse was stomping her feet and foaming at the mouth. The foam was covering the gate  and ground. I called the owner and she laughed and said the horse just starts salivating when it sees the food coming. This horse was very impatient. I had to let her eat out of one wheel barrel while I filled her trough with the other.
     A certain white horse did not want to move or stop eating for me to fill his water that was on the other side of him. I pushed I shoved all as whimpy as before. I tried aiming under the horses belly but got too nervous when the horse looked down on me and and nudged me with its nose. I found a nice spot to aim under his neck but everyonce in a while as he put his head down to eat the water would hit him and spray in my face. Most horses hated being sprayed with water. This one completely did not care.
   As we were finishing up the teenager came back to pick up her horse. This time she was dressed up in flashy lime green boots lime green Jeans with studs buckles and a green shirt with tassels. My daughter stood there staring in awe and admiration. This teenager talked to my daughter again before we both left. Somehow I feel like I still got blisters through my leather gloves.  But I'm grateful for the examples of good young girls and friends she is making here. It is all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment