Monday, July 27, 2015

bit tongues

Day 4 7/25/15

We were late again this morning (late night having Pioneer Day firework fun) but this time eva was not so difficult to wake up(or maybe she was I just now remembered I sent Josh down to do it cause I was too tired). When we got there however I was pleased to see so many trailers hulling off horses for their shows and parades. So many empty stalls!!! We would be done in no time and we had a busy Saturday I was so thrilled!! This feeling didn't last long however as the owner came up and informed me to still feed and water the empty stalls so they can have some food and water when they return. What?! Even though I also helped the riders fill hanging nets of food to hang in their trailers and feed their horses?! I bit my tongue.
      I have since learned that the black and white horse that has been down quite a bit is named Oreo. She was laying down when we got there and now her neighbor was too. The owner informed me laying down isn't bad it's the not able to get up part that's not good. I was so happy to see Oreo get up to eat when eva took her her breakfast. She seems to be doing better even though they never figured out what was going on.
      Though I remembered my pocket knife (even though all the bales were already cut) I failed to remember to wear a bandana. I figured that would look less strange than the medical masks I have left over from my sons nicu days. And here I thought all these years bandanas around the neck were just a weird cowboy fashion statement. Now I know the truth- it's to prevent alfalfa buggers! If only we could clear our noses as easily as horses. The list is now growing of needs- bandana, unfashionable jeans that stay up and don't touch the ground, and boots that keep the hay out of your socks and repel dirty water.
       On the way out I noticed a horse inside the barn that didn't have a place to put hay. I left and texted about her. Evidently the horse but it's tongue and a part of it had to be removed so she was in there recovering. I had to go back later in the day to feed her just putting the hay on the ground for her. When we went back I was showered dressed for shopping and everyone was with us. I bragged to my husband "do you want to see your women at work?"  I would put the hay in the wheel barrel and eva would go feed her.  My husband kept saying 'but won't you get dirty?' It's just one horse honey its not going to get that dirty.I should have bit my tongue humbled myself listened and just got the work done so we could go shop for carpet like planned. I admit I was showing off too much and not being careful. I was so excited that I actually got a whole flake of hay to stay together on my pitchfork and lift it up and over that I didn't think about what happens upon impact. It came down and an atom bomb of alfalfa appeared. I sheltered my face and turned my head but it was too late. Green flakes were now in my hair, down my shirt front and back. They clung to my skin and already were making me itch. What was I thinking!? Of course my husband enjoyed the rest of my show cleaning out my shirt so it wasn't all a loss I guess.
       Eva had her first riding lesson on Thursday and was in heaven. She has talked about it ever since! She got to brush the horse put all the equipment on walk,  trot, turn, and all sorts of fun things. Everyone kept warning her how sore she would be but she must be tougher than we give her credit for cause she didn't complain. Right after she said "my legs feel funny. Like there's a magnet between them." Whatever that means. The horse she rode was named Nikki. It was a white almost albino looking horse who was well trained but in my opinion a bit ugly. I was worried what she would think of it but I bit my tongue. To her it was beautiful. Nikki was patient with eva even if she did try to park eva at the tack room and be done. Her coach yelled out "your horse is tryng to de saddle you eva what do you think about that?" Eva just turned her around and gave her a little kick and clicked her tongue and they were off again. I was surprised at how quickly she took to it. Today eva was excited to find Nikki again and take care of her. Asking will she ride Nikki every time and could she brush her and finding features on her she hasn't noticed on Thursday. A bond was forming. Again when the last three horses needed watering she asked if she could go talk to the horses. I see a tradition forming. It's itchy hard work but Its all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment